Monday, February 2, 2015

Copying the Internet

I was poking around on YouTube last week and I watched this video that taught me how to de-pot MAC eyeshadows from the individual containers.  Since I had five of them laying around, I figured I would get all the supplies and give it a go this week.

Believe it or not, this was super easy!  I was worried, because whenever I try to copy a hack it usually turns into a big fat failure.  This one involved melting plastic.  (Can we say fire hazard?)  Luckily, I was really pleased that it was actually easy to do, but it required a very watchful eye!

The things you need:

Flat iron (I used my 2" Chi)
Strip of magnets
Small, flat knife
Scissors
Quarter
MAC eyeshadows to de-pot

Before I started with the eyeshadows, I traced the quarter onto the magnet sheet and cut out circles that fit perfectly onto the back of the MAC eyeshadow pans.  After that, by using the small knife I popped the top part of the plastic container out which houses the shadow pan.  I then placed that whole piece onto the heated up flat iron and watched it closely while the plastic melted ever so slightly away from the edges.  After about 20-30 seconds,  I took the pan off and used the knife to remove the whole pan.

After I let it sit on the knife to cool a bit (it gets hot!) I put the magnet onto the back of the pan and let it sit again.  Using the same technique I did with the inside pan, I took the outer shell of the MAC eyeshadow and put the label side down onto the flat iron.  After about 15 seconds, I took it off, used the knife to remove the label and slapped it right onto the magnet.  DONEZO.

It really was easy to do and I actually had quite a bit of fun with it.  My 15 color palette is almost full!  Only 4 more colors to choose!



Here are my colors in the columns from top to bottom:

Naked Lunch
Satin Taupe
Charcoal Brown

Rice Paper
Era
Brun

Woodwinked
All That Glitters
Nylon

Cranberry
Fig 2

Let me know if you attempt this and how it goes for you!

Xo


No comments:

Post a Comment