Saturday, April 19, 2014

Trying New Things.

I can't believe I am actually saying this but I have started running!  For the longest time I have abhorred the thought of running, thinking that it was a boring form of exercise and, if I'm being completely honest? Too hard.  Then, this past winter hit.  I have never felt so suffocated by the weather.  It was long, bitterly cold and it snowed…and snowed…AND SNOWED.  I know that most of the nation was dealing with junk weather all winter long but in Michigan it.was.rough.  -25* temps make everyone go stir crazy.

So. Running.  I started off slow with my husband.  He has always been a runner, and for the longest time I couldn't see why it appealed to him.  He always felt so good after a run, and I was starting to feel like I needed to do something to make me feel better and more active.  I tried it and thought that I would be done after one run because of how badly I would hurt afterwards, but you know what?  I didn't!  I was actually surprised at how much better I felt after only one run.  I kept pushing myself every day to get myself out there.  I alternated training on the elliptical on days where the weather wasn't the best.

Yesterday hubby and I went for another run, AND I RAN ALMOST 2 MILES!  I just kept going, and was able to keep up with him!  That runner's high feeling is so real, and so addictive.  Joey pushed me to do some sprints in between, and I was even able to keep up with that!  I know that so many people run, and to them, this probably isn't a big deal, but to me it is, because I never thought I would want to do this.  I have missed setting exercise goals like that, and it's strange how my body feels like I need do a different form of exercise now to get that 'accomplished' feeling.

I'm definitely going to keep up with this, but not time myself.  I'm not into keeping track of how long my runs are because I'm not training for a 5K or half marathon or anything.  I just want to go when I feel like it and enjoy hearing my feet crush the pavement and keep going until I can't anymore.  Maybe eventually I will be ambitious and sign up for something like that but for right now, I just want to run with my babe.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment