Friday, May 31, 2013

May Favorites!

Since tomorrow is June (say what?!) I put together this post about some things that I have been absolutely loving during the month of May.  I always love reading other people's monthly favorites, so I figured I would jump on this fun bandwagon.  So here we go!


*Essie Nailpolish: Full Steam Ahead - This is the best lavender color that has just a hint of subtle sparkle.  You can't even tell when it's on that it has any glitter in it.  I have been trying to avoid pink nail polish because I have waaaay to many of them, so this color seemed like a nice change from what I normally gravitate toward.  When I went to buy it, I was a little worried that it might look a little too Easter-ish but I was really happy when I put it on.  The color has enough depth to look dark enough so it avoids the pastel spectrum, but it's bright and fun for summer without being obnoxious.



*The Portofino Shirt from Express - You guys.  I am in looooove with these shirts.  I have been on the hunt for the perfect flowy shirt that can be dressy or casual for summer and this is absolutely it. I bought one and I loved it so much that I went back and bought another.  These shirts are the perfect weight, and are tailored perfectly.  They have a collar but they don't button all the way up, so they aren't annoying around your neck.  The 'V' in the front is the perfect depth, and the sleeves can be adjusted from long sleeve to 3/4 sleeve.  I bought one in a bright coral color and then I got the black one with the sparrows on it.

I tried on a lot of different solid colored ones, and for the most part I didn't even need a cami under any of them which is a big plus.  Trying to keep cool in the summer does not mean adding layers underneath.  (Plus layering really isn't my thing.) However, the sparrow shirt is obviously see-through.  So I did end up putting a black cami on under this and surprisingly, it didn't bother me.  The shirt had enough room where I didn't feel like I was worried about it showing at the bottom.  The only negative is the price.  They aren't horribly expensive but since I love how they look and fit, I don't mind spending the money on them.  The solids are $49.90 and the prints are $59.90.  Express always sends coupons though, so that helps.  (Because I might just go back to buy more...ahem.)  They come in a bazillion colors, ok?! I can't help myself.  For me, Express runs a little big so even though I normally buy smalls in other stores I went with an extra small and they fit perfectly.



Ok enough about the shirts! Next up:

*Maybelline Dream Sun Bronzer in color Glow Light - Let me preface this by saying I have extremely sensitive skin.  I usually don't buy drugstore makeup because I have to stick with Clinique most of the time.  However, if I buy things at the drugstore, it's usually not for something that goes on my T-zone.  So I decided to try this bronzer by Maybelline and I love it!  I have fair skin, too, so this gives me the perfect flush of color without looking like i have a ton of makeup on.  It's perfect for contouring, and I haven't had any breakouts, so that's a plus as well.  It's not matte, it has a shimmer, but it's not overly sparkly.  It looks dark, but I think this is the lightest they have, so light application is key and then you can build on it.



*Estee Lauder Pure Color Illuminating Powder Gelée - I got this for my birthday this month!  The color of this one is called 01 Heat Wave.  This stuff is pure awesome.  I have been looking for a gold colored highlighter because I feel like gold gives a beautiful healthy flush to the skin instead of a pink or silver-based highlighter.  And for summer it's really perfect.  I got a little bit of sun the past two weeks and when I use this above the Maybelline bronzer, I love the look.  I apply it to the top of my cheeks and around the temples.  A little goes a long way, so it should last a long time.  I have heard rumblings that this may be limited edition, so don't hesitate if you want it!  The only two cons I would say about it is that it seems to absorb into the skin a little bit after you apply, so it doesn't look as intense, but it's still shows up great.  So if it absorbs too much for you, just apply a bit more later.  Secondly, the price is a bit steep at $40.  But like I said, it lasts forever so I feel it's worth it.




So those are my May favorites!  These companies have no idea who I am and I was not compensated for these reviews.  I'm just sharing the things that I have been loving this month.  What have you been loving?  Even though my skin is sensitive I love to hear good make up reviews.  Hopefully I will get the chance to take a few pictures when I wear the Portofino shirts and I will post them for you!


No comments:

Post a Comment